Wednesday, October 28, 2009

La Mangeoire

La Mangeoire
1008 2 Ave
New York, NY 10022-4966
(212) 759-7086

Food 7
Ambiance 6
Service 5
Overall 18
Good for  Pricier than average Lunch  ,average priced dinner for pairs or small groups of friends in small cozy french bistro setting

My mom and I ,after visiting Saint Patrick's cathedral ,were hungry for some good home cooked french food.
We walked around ,surprised  we had to walk all the way here to find a reasonable French restaurant in the midtown east area, since the Upper East has usually loads of well priced places French finds. Their menu showcased a prix fixe lunch menu for $19.75 and dinner menu of  $28 and reasonable a la carte prices so we decided to give it a go. When you enter this medium size cozy restaurant, it reminds you of a funky French aunt's country house. Shabby french chic country cottage. Yellow roughly plastered walls with heavy wood moldings. Copper Pots , brightly colored paintings and antique appearing lighting with brightly colored scarves thrown  on as original shades. 
We were seated promptly next to what turned out to be either the manager or owner's table, a loud group of French men who were enjoying a later afternoon leisurely lunch. I must confess I am always more confidant in any restaurant owned by a native of the country. While unfortunately I have been to many a  NYC French restaurant with this distintion that still served sub par food, it always leaves me surprised. In France, no matter how small or cheap, I have usually found most of the restaurants pretty good, especially when it comes to dishing typical casual favorites. I never understand why these same classics across the Atlantic somehow become mangled.
In any case, the lunch menu is mildy pricey. Appetizers ranged from $10-14 . Mains, are offered in two sizes with a small  price reduction for the smaller size and range in  price from $13-33.
We were unimpressed by the lunch prix fixe as mains consisted primarily of salads. They also have many moules frites varieties that are $18.50, which I found a bit pricey for mussels.
I opted for the  $16.50 calf liver with ratatouille and my mother had the $19.50 striped bass with sweet potatoe mash.  Both were the smaller portion size which turned out to be a perfectly sized lunch or dinner size. Both dishes were well seasoned and perfectly cooked. My liver was served with a sweet onion compote and bacon which provided an interesting taste dimension. My mother's bass was nicely seared with the fresh flavor of thyme singing through. Both meals reminded me of some French mother's cooking. Simple,fresh well prepared with attention to seasoning and cooking. Nothing fancy but good home-style country cooking. Although we skipped appetizer and dessert, I would love to try this spot for a dinner.
I recommend this place if you are in the Midtown East area or even as a destination for the well priced cozy French dinner prix fixe.
The Quest continues......

No comments:

Post a Comment