Sunday, October 18, 2009

Sanford's

Sanford's
3013 Broadway

Astoria, NY 11106-2610
(718) 932-9569
Food 4
Service 5
Ambiance 6
Overall 15
Good for burgers and drinks - pairs or small groups, skip the brunch or pricey dinner

So I have passed by Sanford's several times and have always been intrigued by the very cool sleek interior of this place on a street which houses mainly a goodly amount of greek and brazilian restaurants in Astoria. Today, after checking out their 13 dollar prix fixe brunch menu online and some good reviews I decided to take the plunge.
When we arrived at 1:30 pm, there was line of about 8 people waiting.  I got to the front to ask the hostess how long a wait for party of two could be.  Before I even started speaking, the hostess, who was finalizing a takeout bill, imperially  informed me to wait in a harsh tone.  After several minutes, she looked up at the rest of the crowd, apparently having already forgotten me, although I was right in front of her, and asked who is next for a table.  I then approached her again to ask for the wait time, and she informed with much dramatic disdain, that the wait would be at least 20 minutes.  After all of this, we ended up eating here because we were too hungry and too tired to figure out an alternative.  We walked in the neighborhoood for a little while and returned to the restaurant 10-15 minutes later, to find, surprise surprise several free tables and no more line.
Anyways, our hostess seats us initially at this center table, very close to the door, although there were several other open tables and booths further away.  After 10 minutes at this table with the breeze blowing in my face every time a new customer came in, we asked to be relocated to a less wind accesible table.
SO you can probably tell that by this point I am not very impressed by this place, the hostess having left a rather poor impression on me.  Our waiter, however, did make up for some of her annoying behavior and was attentive and helpful throughout our brunch.
Let me back track to the decor of this place.  It is actually a fairly well thought out and executed space.  Funky green and orange glass tiles on the walls, cool modern lamps, sleek floors and world music in the background.  Very cool space except the noise level was problematic.  We almost had to shout facing each other for most of the meal .
Anyways, our waiter arrives at our new location and takes our order.  Although we ordered from the breakfast and brunch menu, this place has an extensive regular menu which looked interesting- especially their 8 versions of burgers. The brunch menu as mentioned is a 13 dollar prixe fixe which includes coffee or tea and one alcholic drink. The breakfast mains are fairly cheap. They focus as per the menu on organic free range eggs and local produce when possible.  I ordered a Croque Madame(which they call Monsieur) for $7.95 and my husband had the  $9.95 big boy breakfast - a combo of eggs, homefries, bacon and a waffle)
We also had a $5.95 side of fresh fruit.  For drinks, I had a cup of revolution earl grey lavender tea while my husband opted for a cup of the hot chocalate.
Now before I speak much about the food, let me provide a neccessary detail.  Apparently Sanford's has been around since 1922, as a corner diner.  Recently, in response to the changing neighborhood they decided to revamp the place and expand the menu.  Unfortunately for us, they still retain diner breakfast standards, and not the good kind either.  My husband's Big Boy breakfast arrived with the standard cardboard tasting diner waffle straddled by unseasoned scrambled eggs, dried out over cooked bacon and watery tasteless spatula flattened homefries.  The menu also publicizes their use of real maple syrup. However, our waiter initially brought out breakfast syrup and when we asked for the real maple syrup, which was quickly brought out, our final bill showed we were charged an extra dollar for the real deal.  My croque Madame arrived a three layer grilled ham and cheese sandwhich made from Wonder White bread and not an ounce of bechamel.  After this and Cafe Henri, I am starting to belive that I will not find a proper Croque Madame in Queens.  Dense and overly stuffed with ham and unmelted cheese, I forced myself to stumble through half of it before my stomach hurled revolt.  I focused my energies on the fairly fresh and bountiful side of fruit, which aside from my tea was the best thing as far as food in this place.  My husband did not fare as well with his hot chocalate as I did with my tea.  His had the undeniable smell and taste of Swiss Miss.
Overall, the brunch left me sorely disappointed and hungry. Because of the cuteness of the space, price and since these owners own a burger joint (Petey's Burger Joint) as well, I might venture again to try some strong drinks and big burgers.
The Quest continues......

No comments:

Post a Comment