Saturday, February 20, 2010

Capsouto Freres

Capsouto Freres
451 Washington Street

New York, NY 10013-1723
(212) 966-4900
Food 5
Service 6
Ambiance 7
Overall 18
Good for romantic setting for unimpressive old school french for beaucoup dollars

So my husband and I went here before a Chinatown play for restaurant weeek dinner. Although it is a fairly old by New York restaurant standards, the reviews are uniformly glowing.  First off ,its in the middle of industrial nowhere, somewhere at the edge of Tribeca , SOHO and Chinatown. Meeting up on a winter's night at 6:30, I was a little scared at the lack of pedestrain traffic around these parts. When I finally sidled up to the restaurant, I was impressed at the size and warm decor. A historic almost cavernous room, with high celings, cheery hints of red and beautiful molding throughout. Giant leafy plants take over the massive windows.  I was instantly greeted by a cheery and somewhat cheeky older French fellow, who showed me to my table. The waiters, all dressed up in formal black and white attire, quickly gave me a drink menu to peruse while I waited for my husband. When we arrived at 6:30 the place was fairly empty. But by our departure close to eight it was full with  many large parties. We stuck with the restaurant dinner menu. I opened with smoked salmon salad, followed by a  daube de boef bourguignon. He had an argula goat cheese salad, followed by a grilled mahi mahi. We both had some wine, which was fairly priced and adequate. My smoked salmon was delicately seasoned and a nice portion. A refreshing opener for the palate. My husband' salad was nothing notable. Overly dressed and certainly not memorable. My beef was an unfortunate tiny small portion that was overly cooked and underseasoned.Very unimpressive for such an impressive looking restaurant. My husband fared worse. His fish was unfresh and miniscule. Although well seasoned, again I was shocked that a place with this look would serve so unfresh a fish. Overall the meal was barely adequate for a restaurant week price. If I had paid full price, I would have been a little more than disappointed. Service was fairly speedy and responsive. Given the ambiance and service, its a shame the kitchen is not more on point.
The Quest continues.....

No comments:

Post a Comment