Sunday, February 21, 2010

Ornella Trattoria

Ornella Trattoria Italiana

29-17 23rd Avenue, Astoria NY 11105
718-777-9477
Food 6
Service 5
Ambiance 5
Overall  16
Good for authentic and creative pasta and salads

I wanted to check out Ornella after reading about it in Edible Queens and either Metro or AM NY. I am always on the lookout for great pasta like what  I seemed to find so easily anywhere in Italy. So 2 weekends ago, my husband and I ventured forth on a Sunday night , with our Amarone in hand.They don't yet have a liquor license, so we actually came without Amarone, but ran to the liquor store next door to recitify that. On our arrival we were immediately greeted by the warm and very friendly owner, Giuseppe Viterale .He showed us to our table and began talking with us to find out if it was our first time visiting and how we had heard about it. Giuseppe is one of the main reasons I will be returning to this restauarant. His love and pride of his home cooking is evident. And he clearly is looking to make people feel truly welcome in his home style restaurant. Every small critique of his food he seemed to be taking truly to heart. Like he wanted us to truly help him make the restaurant better. A rare quality to encounter in a New York City restaurant. Back to the restaurant's ambiance. The place is long and narrow. The Viterales have tried to provide some rustic charm with cheery yellow walls and a few hastily made flowers  along with a few poor man's frescoes on the wall, but alas, the place lacks the much needed t authentic charm of its owners. On to the menu. The main menu consists of an assortment of interesting  appetizers $7-10, well priced pastas($14-19) and meat and fish main entrees($21-25). Of note a majority of the pastas and risottos are to be found in the menu vegetariano. So you should look at this before making a final selection. Since I had heard the star of the shows is pastas that is where we focused our attention. We started off with a $9 grilled octupus salad. A generous portion, definantly good for 3 to share, we were disappointed by the saltiness and toughness of the octopus. The accompanying salad was perfectly dressed and a refreshing counterpoint. I continued on with their $18 housemade chestnut pasta with shrimp, pasta di castagna, while my husband had the $19 imbustata. Both were generous portions of fresh homemade goodness. My chestnut pasta was similar to linguine  made with chestnut flour and served with quickly wilted arugula ,cherry tomatoes and shrimp.We also ordered a side of rabe, which was a delicious garliced complement. Although my chestnut pasta was a tad bit on the salty side, it was a hearty and satisfying with the unique understated nutiness of the chestnut. It reminded me in color and taste profile of buckwheat noodles. Aside from the tad bit over saltedness of the dish I did not find the shrimp married with the other ingrediants- would definantly order this dish straight vegetarian next time.  My husband's imbustata was essentially a lasagna filled with a rich creamy mix of ground veal and chicken with mushrooms,spinach, mascarpone cheese and mozzerrela cheese. It was too heavy and unrefined for my taste, the flavors collapsing together into an unrecognizable medly of mush. It was not bad, just in comparison with the sweet simplicity of the chestnut pasta quite surprising- and not for me in a godo way. My husband adored it. We finished our meal with italian flan and tiramisu. The flan was  tasty but nothing extaordinary. For my taste, not enough sugar or creaminess. The tiramisu on the other hand I found too sweet , without enough balance of coco and coffe flavors and an unusual orange flavored aftertaste which was not to my liking.
Aside from the owner, waitstaff was adequatey present.
I will definantly be checking out Ornella again. It is rare to find such authentic Italian pasta at reasonable prices in the city. Although there were several misses in our meal, the owner and the opportunity to try more original and unusual pastas make me want to return.
The Quest continues..............

No comments:

Post a Comment