Wednesday, January 6, 2010

(aged.)

(aged.)
10702 70th Rd
Forest Hills , NY 11375
(718) 544-2433
Food 5
Ambiance 6
Service 5
Overall 16
Good for drinks

So I have been off vacationing in Portugal for the holidays, hence my lack of blogging. But prior to my trip out, on the December 17th  Thursday, I had the unfortunate experiance of eating at (aged.). My husband and I were in the neigborhood of Forest Hillas after having dropped my sister off at the airport and figured we were sure to find a cool dinner bet along Austin Street. Occupying the space formerly housing Rouge, a french restaurant, a glance inside the window whetted my appetite. Its no casual Peter Luger's. Sleek wooded interior with funky metal lighting. We arrived around 7 pm, and the place although medium in size, was about half way full. A deceptively good sign I thought. We promptly were seated and quickly ordered. My husband had been hankering for a burger and I for some good steak so we figured this place would be a perfect settlement. We started with the $7 apple raspberry candied walnut spinach salad. Heavy on an overly vinagered dressing, I gave up after a few bites and hoped for the best with my $19  hanger steak. I ordered it bloody, which in NY is still not enought to gurantee rareness. I was hoping a steakhouse could handle the order though. My husband stuck to his guns and ventured for the $14 angus burger with blue cheese and mushrooms. My steak arrived medium rare with an uninspired mash of potatoes but a tasty though small side of vegetables. I returned it immediately and waited for some true rare steak to reappear. My husband's burger although very flavorful had the bizarre consistency of wood chips. I have never had a burger like this, sawdust dry although it was actually perfectly cooked medium. I have no idea what kind of angus was in there but it was a true travesty for 14 dollars. The fries accompanying the burger were adequate, but nothing memorable. When my steak returned tableside, it proved not worth waiting for. It had an off tangy taste, almost gamey, was under seasoned and generally not much to write home about. After a few bites I desisted, finished the tasty greens and pondered the sad situation. I suppose (aged .)might be a good place for a drink if you are in the Forest Hills area. But never mind the food. A steakhouse  that can't make a spinach salad, burger or a hanger steak  is a very pathetic steakhouse indeed.
The Quest continues......

No comments:

Post a Comment