Sunday, January 24, 2010

Char No 4

Char No 4
196 Smith Street

Brooklyn, NY 11201
(718) 643-2106

Food 5
Ambiance 5
Service 4
Overall 14
Good For whiskey shots and appetizers, skip the pricier food and cocktails
 Finally made my way to Char No 4 this past MLK monday on our way back from a D.C weekend.
Craving some good barbecue and whiskey, I figured this Brooklyn place should fit the bill.
We arrive at 6:30 pm without reservations, and the tiny spot had a few people dining and drinking already. By the time we left at 8:30 the joint was completely packed. Of course, not hard to do since this place is TINY. Mainly bar as you enter and 4 booths and 2 tables in the back. The place to us was  depressing in its decor. An  poorly thought out ode to the sevenities with brown walls and wood everything.
We were promptly seated and the menu is on the pricier end for what you get. We were hungry and unimpressed by the primarily all fried appetizers so we went striaght for drinks and main. I ordered the $22 ribs with spicy cornbread and baked beans. Underseasoned and not deliciously smoked ribs. Cornbread was moist and tasty. The beans were undercooked and the spiciness and other flavors not appetizing. Since I am somewhat obsessed with all things barbecue, this was a definante disappointment. My husband had the $18 house made  maple sausage with brussels sprouts. The sausage was unmemmorable although the sprouts were nicely caramelized and seasoned. A fairly small portion of food for the pricepoint.We shared a $6 side of braised kale. My husband first ordered the whiskey version of dark and stormy. A very weak sweet and watery cocktail, definantly not worth it. I ended up drinking most of this relunctantly and he went for their midprice $22 whisky flight. I started with a sazerac cocktail, which is not on the regular menu and I have never had, which was completely undrinkable medicine like cocktail. I returned that and went to my standby whiskey cocktail of a Rob Roy, which was predictably delicious.
Service was barely present throughout. And when I returned my Sazerac, my waitress grilled me on why I wa returning it.
Overall, would definantly not recommend this place if you are not in the borough already. The star here is really the whiskies. The food is secondary.
The Quest continues.....

No comments:

Post a Comment